Proclamation of Emergency
October 14, 1999
In pursuance of deliberations and decisions of Chiefs of Staff of the Armed
Forces and Corps Commanders of Pakistan Army, I, General Pervez Musharraf, Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee and
Chief of Army Staff, proclaim emergency throughout Pakistan and assume the office of the Chief Executive of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
Ed. note: Hightlighted text indicates amendments to the original document. Click on the hightlighted text to see the amending instrument.The original proclamation - as issued on October 14, 1999 - is available here.
I hereby order and proclaim as follows:
- The Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan shall remain in
- The person holding the office of the President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan immediately before the commencement of the Proclamation of Emergency (Amendment) Order, 2001, shall cease to hold the office with immediate effect;
- The National Assembly, the Provincial Assemblies and Senate shall stand
dissolved with immediate effect;
- The Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the Senate have already ceased to hold
office; the Speaker and Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly and the
Provincial Assemblies shall also cease to hold office with immediate effect.
- The Prime Minister, the Federal Ministers, Ministers of State, Advisors
to the Prime Minister, Parliamentary secretaries, the
Provincial Governors, the Provincial Chief Ministers, the Provincial Ministers
and the Advisors to the Chief Ministers shall cease to
- The whole of Pakistan will come under the control of the Armed Forces
This proclamation shall come into force at once and be deemed to have taken
effect on and 12th day of October, 1999.
Source: Dawn - The Internet Edition - http://dawn.com - October 15,